The research activities of the Division cover a broad range of academic fields in basic biological research and biotechnological applications.
The research teams of the Division have developed important collaborations and joint research programs with research teams in Greece and abroad. As for the international collaborations, postgraduate students of the Department of Biology carry out part of their research in European countries, while students from other countries visit the laboratories of the Division for training. Professors from other European countries often use their educational leave to work in the Laboratories of the Division.
The members of the Division are involved in teaching of nine compulsory courses of the Undergraduate Program, 11 elective courses of the Undergraduate Program as well as 11 courses of the Postgraduate Program of the Department of Biology. In addition, they participate in teaching of 13 Laboratory Exercises in both the Undergraduate and Postgraduate Programs of the Department of Biology and they teach Biology-related courses in other Departments of the University of Patras.
Ειδικότερα τα ερευνητικά αντικείμενα αφορούν:
- Developmental Biology (neural stem cell biology: CNS development and therapeutic uses)
- Immunobiology (functions and disorders of the immune system)
- Cell Biology (growth factors, signaling, cancer biology)
- Biochemistry (structure and function of proteins, signaling pathways of cancer cells)
- Genetics (interaction of genes and environment, pharmacogenetics and molecular genetics in autoimmune diseases)
- Microbiology-Biotechnology (microbial metabolism, lipids)
- Molecular Biology