The Botanical Garden occupies an area of 35 acres and is located in the NE. end of the University Campus of Patras. The basic building structure of the Botanical Garden has been completed with a central building of 1355 sq.m. multipurpose (space intended for Herbarium, lecture hall, laboratory spaces, offices, storage spaces, etc.), with two greenhouses of 645 sq.m. with a network of sidewalks 600 m., parking space of 500 sq.m., cultivation areas of 2,500 sq.m. (including greenhouses), etc.
The Botanical Garden of the University of Patras in its full development, will perform important work, in terms of scientific research and education of students, environmental education and training of students and teachers in the area and not only, cultivation of aromatic, medicinal and beekeeping plants, as well as a seed bank. However, one of the main reasons for its creation is the protection of the Biodiversity of the “Greek flora”. The Greek flora includes 6,600 taxa (species and subspecies), of which about 1300 taxa are endemic to Greece, ie they grow only in Greece, while 300 taxa grow in very small populations, which are under strong environmental and other pressures and threatened with extinction.
Purposes of operation of the Botanical Garden:
- The collection, cultivation and study of plant species that exist in our country, in neighboring countries in the Balkans, the Mediterranean and Europe.
- The utilization of aromatic medicinal apiaries and all plants of commercial interest.
- The facilitation of the education of the students of the University of Patras in matters concerning the collection and cultivation and any form of study concerning the “Greek flora”
- The protection and management of populations of endangered and endangered species with the aim of reintegration into nature where needed.
- Raising public awareness, especially of young people, on environmental issues, the role of plants in the functions and stability of ecosystems.
- The development of collaborations with other related units and especially with Botanical Gardens in Greece and abroad.
It is governed by a 3-member committee from the Department of Biology and the Department of Pharmacy, chaired by Professor Mr. Grigori Iatrou.
It has 2 staff members who are also in the Department of Biology.