Faculty Staff / Section of Genetics, Cell & Developmental Biology
Assistant Professor of Genetics
Office location: 2nd floor
Telephone:+30 2610 969243 (Office), +30 2610 969255 (Lab)
Lab website: https://geneticslabupatraseng.wordpress.com/
- Bachelor of Genetics, School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Aberystwyth, UK.
- MSc in Genetics and Molecular Medicine, Department of Genomic Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Sheffield, UK.
- D in Medical Genetics. Henry Wellcome Laboratories for Medical Research, Biomedical Genetics, Division of Genomic Medicine, Medical School, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK.
- Post-doctoral scientist, Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, Institute Immunology of BSRC. “Alexander Fleming”, Athens.
- Undergraduate Courses: Genetics/Genetics I, Molecular Genetics/Genetics II, Human Genetics/Medical Genetics,
- MSc “Biological Sciences: Research and Applications” Modules: Molecular Genetics and Applications – MSc “Chemical Biology” Modules: Molecular Medicine – MSc “Ecological genetics and Ecotoxicology” Modules: Population Genetics and Natural Selection.
Research and other activities
“The investigation of the complex interactions between genomics, epigenomics, metabolomics, how they interact with each other, as well as with the environment (microbiome) and how they affect the cellular functions both in the pathogenesis of human diseases and in response to therapy, in the context of autoimmune diseases.”
- Genetic analysis of multifactorial diseases/Genetic Epidemiology: Study of the genetic basis (gene-gene and gene-environment interaction) of multifactorial diseases such as psoriasis, atopic dermatitis, rheumatoid arthritis, obesity, type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome.
- Pharmacogenetics/Pharmacogenomics: Use of both standard as well as cutting-edge technologies in order to identify genetic biomarkers that predict response to therapy in autoimmune diseases.
- Molecular Biology and Functional Gene Analysis: Investigation of the molecular mechanisms that regulate target gene expression in immune and inflammatory pathways by utilizing in vitro and transgenic models of human diseases.
- Antonatos C, Stavrou EF, Evangelou E, Vasilopoulos Y. Exploring pharmacogenetic variants for predicting response to anti-TNF therapy in autoimmune diseases: a meta-analysis. Pharmacogenomics, 2021;22(7):435-445.
- Vasilopoulos Y. Pharmacogenetics and psoriasis: is targeted treatment a possibility? Pharmacogenomics. 2017 Dec;18(18):1627-1630.
- Mendrinou E, Patsatsi A, Zafiriou E, Papadopoulou D, Aggelou L, Sarri C, Mamuris Z, Kyriakou A, Sotiriadis D, Roussaki-Schulze A, Sarafidou T, Vasilopoulos Y. FCGR3A-V158F polymorphism is a disease-specific pharmacogenetic marker for the treatment of psoriasis with Fc-containing TNFα inhibitors. Pharmacogenomics J. 2017 Jun;17(3):237-241.
- Ferreiro-Iglesias A, Montes A1, Perez-Pampin E, Cañete JD, Raya E, Magro-Checa C, Vasilopoulos Y,…….. Gonzalez A. Replication of PTPRC as genetic biomarker of response to TNF inhibitors in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Pharmacogenomics J. 2016 Apr 16(2): 137-40.
- Vasilopoulos Y, Sarri C, Zafiriou E, Patsatsi A, Stamatis C, Ntoumou E, Fassos I, Tsalta A, Karra A, Roussaki-Schulze A, Sotiriadis D, Mamuris Z, Sarafidou T. A pharmacogenetic study of ABCB1 polymorphisms and cyclosporine treatment response in patients with psoriasis in the Greek population. Pharmacogenomics J. 2014 Dec 14(6):523-25.
- Montes A, Perez-Pampin E, Narvàez J,……Vasilopoulos Y,……, Gonzalez A. Association of FCGR2A with the response to infliximab treatment of patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Pharmacogenetics and Genomics 2014; May;24(5):238-45.
- Vasilopoulos Υ, Sarafidou Τ, Kotsa Κ, Papadimitriou Τ, Goutzelas Υ, Bagiatis V, Stamatis C, Tsekmekidou X, Yovos JG, Mamuris Z. VDR Taq1 is associated with Obesity but not with Diabetes mellitus type 2 in the Greek population. Gene 2013; 512(2):237-9.
- Vasilopoulos Y, Manolika M, Zafiriou E, Sarafidou T, Bagiatis V, Krüger-Krasagaki S, Tosca A, Patsatsi A, Sotiriadis D, Mamuris Z, Roussaki-Schulze A. Pharmacogenetic analysis of TNF, TNFRSF1A and TNFRSF1B polymorphisms and prediction of response to anti-TNF therapy in psoriasis patients in the Greek population. Mol Diagn Ther 2012; Feb 1;16(1):29-34.
- Vasilopoulos Y, Sagoo GS, Cork MJ, Walters K, Tazi-Ahnini R. HLA-C, CSTA and DS12346 susceptibility alleles confer over 100-fold increased risk of developing psoriasis: evidence of gene interaction. J Hum Genet 2011; 56(6):423-7.
- Vasilopoulos Y, Walters K, Cork MJ, Duff GW, Sagoo GS, Tazi-Ahnini R. Association analysis of the skin barrier gene cystatin A at the PSORS5 locus in psoriatic patients: Evidence for interaction between PSORS1and PSORS5. Eur J Hum Genet 2008; 16(8):1002-9.
- Vasilopoulos Y, Gkretsi V, Armaka M, Aidinis V, Kollias G. Actin cytoskeleton dynamics linked to synovial fibroblast activation as a novel pathogenic principle in TNF-driven arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 2007; 66 Suppl 3:iii23-8.
- Cork MJ, Robinson DA, Vasilopoulos Y, Ferguson A, Mustafa M, Duff GW, Ward SJ, Tazi-Ahnini R. New perspectives on epidermal barrier dysfunction in atopic dermatitis: Gene Environment Interactions. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2006; 118:3-21.
- Vasilopoulos Y, Cork MJ, Murphy R, Williams HC, Robinson DA, Duff GW, Ward SJ, Tazi-Ahnini R. Genetic association between an AACC insertion in the 3’UTR of the stratum corneum chymotryptic enzyme (SCCE) gene and atopic dermatitis. J Invest Dermatol 2004; 123:62-6.