Research and other activities
- Structure, Dynamics and Management of Aquatic Ecosystems [hydrobiological parameters, trophic relationships, species competition, ecological indicators, invasive species, environmental pressures, anthropogenic effects],
- Monitoring and Evaluation of Ecological Water Quality (WFD 2000/60 / EU), functional diversity, bio-indicator species, (WFD 2000/60 / EU quality element; macrophytes)
- Changes in spatial and temporal scales of aquatic macrophyte communities, ecosystem processes and dynamics of inland water vegetation
- Impacts of global change (climate change) on aquatic ecosystems,
- Biodiversity and Bio-monitoring of plant species and habitat types in protected areas
- Landscape ecology, spatio-temporal changes of land cover / land uses with remote sensing and GIS techniques.
Representative Research Programs:
- Monitoring of the Ecological Quality of river waters of Greece in application of Article 8 of Directive 2000/60 / EU. “Sampling and analysis of macrophytes of rivers” (Regions of Eastern Macedonia-Thrace Epirus, Thessaly, Peloponnese and Western Greece). NMRC (2020‐2023).
- Integrated actions for the conservation and management of Natura 2000 sites, species, habitats, and ecosystems in Greece. European Commission, LIFE-IP (2018 – 2025.)
- Knowledge Conversion for Enhancing Management of European Riparian Ecosystems and Services. COST Action – CONVERGES (2017 – 2021).
- Sampling, sample analysis, and evaluation of Biological Quality Elements. Implementation of Article 8 of Directive 2000/60/EC (Rivers). Water Development Department of Cyprus (2016 – 2017).
- Monitoring of ecological quality of Greek rivers for the Implementation of Article 8 of WFD 2000/60/EE: samplings and analyses of aquatic macrophytes. NMRC (2014‐2015).
- Monitoring of Terrestrial Habitats in the area of EPAMATH. Nestos – Vistonida – Ismarida Delta Management Agency EPAMATH(2013-2015).
- Evaluation of Ecological Quality and Anthropogenic Impacts on Aquatic Ecosystems based on Biocommunities. University of Patras Basic Research Program «K. KARATHEODORI» (2011 –2014).
- Adaptive strategies to mitigate the impacts of climate change on European freshwater ecosystems- REFRESH. Commission of the European Communities, Water resources. EU FP7–ENV -2009- REFRESH (2010 – 2014).