Faculty / Section of Plant Biology
Office location: 1st Floor
Telephone: +30 2610 996211
- Degree in Forestry (BSc), (2006), Democritus University of Thrace.
- Master’s degree in Environmental and Ecological Engineering (MSc), (2007), Department of Environment, University of the Aegean.
- PdD, (2013), Department of Environment, University of the Aegean. Thesis title: «Serpentine ecology: ecosystem processes, plant functional traits and investigation of the function of metal hyperaccumulation in Alyssum lesbiacum, a serpentine endemic species from Lesbos Island (Greece)»
- Postdoc, 2017, Department of Biological Sciences – University of Calgary (Calgary, Canada).
- Postdoc, (2018), Biology Department – Temple University (Philadelphia, USA).
- Postdoc, (2019), Institute of Ecology and Evolution – Bern University (Bern, Switzerland).
- Undergraduate Courses: “Plant Biology I”, “Ecology II”, “Biodiversity and Conservation Biology”, “Plant Physiology”
- Postgraduate courses: “The Impact of Environmental Stresses on the Mediterranean Plants”
Research and other activities
- Plant Functional Ecology
- Biotic interactions (plant-plant, plant-insect)
- Global change effects on biotic interactions
- Investigation of the hypotheses of plant metal hyperaccumulation
- Phytoremediation technologies
- Ecosystem functioning predictions by linking plant morphological and physiological traits.
- Adamidis GC, Varsamis G, Tsiripidis I, Dimitrakopoulos PG, Papageorgiou AC, (2021) Patterns of leaf morphological traits of beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) along an altitudinal gradient. Forests. 12: 1297. (Impact factor 2020: 2.633)
- Dimitrakopoulos PG, Aloupi M, Tetradis G, Adamidis GC, (2021) Broomrape species parasitizing Odontarrhena lesbiaca (Brassicaceae) individuals act as nickel hyperaccumulators. Plants. 10(4): 816. (Impact factor 2020: 3.935).
- Zografou K, Swartz MT, Adamidis GC, Tilden VP, McKinney EN, Sewall BJ, (2021) Species traits affect phenological responses to climate change in a butterfly community. Scientific Reports. 11: 3283. (Impact factor 2020: 4.379).
- Stefanatou A, Dimitrakopoulos PG, Aloupi M, Adamidis GC, Nakas G, Petanidou T, (2021) From bioaccumulation to biodecumulation: nickel movement from Odontarrhena lesbiaca (Brassicaceae) individuals into consumers. Science of the Total Environment. 747, 141197. (Impact factor 2020: 7.963).
- Kattge J, Bönisch G, Díaz S, Lavorel S, Prentice IC, Leadley P, Tautenhahn S, Werner G, Aakala T, Abedi M, Acosta ATR, Adamidis GC,… and Wirth C, (2020) TRY plant trait database – enhanced coverage and open access. Global Change Biology. 26, 119-188. (Impact factor 2020: 10.863).
- Adamidis GC, Swartz M, Zografou K, Sewall B, (2019) Prescribed fire maintains host plants of a rare grassland butterfly. Scientific Reports. 9: 16826. (Impact factor 2020: 4.379)
- Adamidis GC, Hoover S, Melathopoulos A, Cartar RV, (2019) Pollinators enhance crop yield and shorten the growing season by modulating plant functional characteristics: A comparison of 23 canola varieties. Scientific Reports. 9: 14208. (Impact factor 2020: 4.379)
- Adamidis GC, Aloupi M, Mastoras P, Papadaki M-I, Dimitrakopoulos PG, (2017) Is annual or perennial harvesting more efficient in Ni phytoextraction? Plant and Soil. 418(1), 205-218. (Impact factor 2020: 4.192)
- Adamidis GC, Kazakou E, Aloupi M, Dimitrakopoulos PG, (2016) Is it worth hyperaccumulating Ni on non-serpentine soils? Decomposition dynamics of mixed-species litters containing hyperaccumulated Ni across serpentine and non-serpentine environments. Annals of Botany. 117, 1241-1248. (Impact factor 2020: 4.357)
- Zografou K, Adamidis GC, Grill A, Kati V, Wilson RJ, Willemse L, Halley JM, (2015) Who flies first? Habitat-specific phenological shifts of butterflies and orthopterans in the light of climate change: a methodological case study from south-east Mediterranean. Ecological Entomology. 40(5), 562-574. (Impact factor 2020: 2.465).
- Adamidis GC, Dimitrakopoulos PG, Manolis A, Papageorgiou AC, (2014) Genetic diversity and population structure of the serpentine endemic Ni-hyperaccumulator Alyssum lesbiacum. Plant Systematics and Evolution. 300, 2051-2060. (Impact factor 2020: 1.631).
- Adamidis GC, Kazakou E, Fyllas NM, Dimitrakopoulos PG, (2014) Species adaptive strategies and leaf economic relationships across serpentine and non-serpentine habitats on Lesbos, eastern Mediterranean. PLoS One. 9:e96034. (Impact factor 2020: 3.24).
- Adamidis GC, Kazakou E, Baker AJM, Reeves RD, Dimitrakopulos PG, (2014). The effect of harsh abiotic conditions on the diversity of serpentine plant communities on Lesbos, an eastern Mediterranean Island. Plant Ecology and Diversity. 7(3), 433-444. (Impact factor 2020: 2.606).
- Adamidis GC, Aloupi M, Kazakou E, Dimitrakopoulos PG, (2014). Intra-specific variation in Ni tolerance, accumulation and translocation patterns in the Ni-hyperaccumulator Alyssum lesbiacum. Chemosphere. 95, 496-502. (Impact factor 2020: 7.086).
- Kazakou E, Adamidis GC, Baker AJM, Reeves RD, Godino M, Dimitrakopoulos PG (2010) Species adaptation in serpentine soils in Lesbos Island (Greece): metal hyperaccumulation and tolerance. Plant and Soil. 332, 369-385. (Impact factor 2020: 4.192).